The KZ-Gedenkstätte Sandhofen e.V. commemorates a historic site of Nazi terror: a subcamp of the Natzweiler concentration camp that existed in the centre of Mannheim-Sandhofen from September 1944 to March 1945. The former Friedrichschule (now Gustav Wiederkehr School) was home to 1,070 prisoners; almost all of them were Polish boys and men who had been arrested by the German occupiers during the suppression of the Warsaw Uprising in August 1944 and deported to the Dachau concentration camp. In Mannheim, they had to perform forced labour for Daimler-Benz.
An exhibition has been on display in the basement of the Gustav Wiederkehr School since November 1990 and can be visited every 3rd Sunday of the month and (by groups and school classes) by appointment. The memorial documents the history of the subcamp as part of the Nazi concentration camp system, provides information about the Warsaw Uprising and commemorates the victims of the Sandhofen concentration camp.
The institution is supported by the association KZ-Gedenkstätte Sandhofen e.V. in cooperation with the MARCHIVUM as well as the Stadtjugendring Mannheim e.V. The MARCHVUM supervises the memorial site organizationally as well as scientifically.